Asian weighs fresh uncertainty after US tariff ruling
Asian trading partners reacted cautiously on Saturday after US President Donald Trump announced plans to impose new tariffs on imports, just hours after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down key elements of his earlier trade measures.
The court invalidated several sweeping tariffs that had been imposed on major Asian exporters, including China, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan, as part of a broader trade offensive. The ruling declared that the previous tariff programme exceeded legal authority.
In response, Trump said he would raise temporary tariffs on nearly all US imports from 10 percent to 15 percent, the highest level permitted under existing law. He also announced a separate 10 percent duty on imports from all countries for an initial 150-day period under a different legal provision, with the new measures set to take effect on Tuesday.
Analysts warned that the rapid policy shift could deepen uncertainty for businesses and investors already navigating volatile global trade conditions.
In Japan, a government spokesperson said Tokyo would closely review both the court’s decision and the US administration’s next steps before determining its response.
China, which is preparing to host Trump in late March, has not issued an official reaction. The country is currently observing an extended holiday period. However, a senior financial official in Hong Kong described the developments as chaotic.
Christopher Hui, Hong Kong’s secretary for financial services and the treasury, said the new US tariffs highlighted the city’s “unique trade advantages.” He argued that Hong Kong’s policy stability and predictability would remain attractive to global investors despite shifting US trade actions.
Hong Kong operates as a separate customs territory from mainland China, a status that has helped shield it from direct exposure to US tariffs aimed at Chinese goods.
